This guide will show you how to review and edit line segment Zones and Zone Sets in StreetLight InSight. Line segment Zones represent portions of the road network. They can be used to capture traffic traveling along roads of all types, including highways, freeway ramps, and city streets. Once line segment Zones are added to StreetLight InSight as a Zone Set--either by drawing or uploading a line shapefile--they can be used in various Project Types, including O-D Analysis, Zone Activity Analysis, Segment Analysis, and Traffic Diagnostics.
When a line segment Zone is added to StreetLight InSight, a number of items are stored with the Zone:
- The original line shape.
- The start point
- The end point
- A start gate: a polygon Zone created at the start point drawn perpendicular to the line. This gate along with the end gate is used in Segment Analyses and Traffic Diagnostics projects.
- A middle gate: a polygon Zone created at the midpoint of the line drawn perpendicular to the line. This gate is used in O-D type analyses.
- An end gate: a polygon Zone created at the end point drawn perpendicular to the line. This gate along with the end gate is used in Segment Analyses and Traffic Diagnostics projects.
- Direction information.
Reviewing and Editing Line Segment Zones
To review your zone set in more detail, go to your Manage Zone Sets tab and click the pencil icon to edit the Zone Set.
Step 1: Navigate to the “Manage Travel Projects” tab section of your StreetLight InSight account, which is located in the upper left hand corner under the menu icon.
Step 2: Locate your Zone Set.
Step 3: Click on the Edit icon. If the Zone Set has been used in a Project, the Zone Set will open with only the option to change the name of the Zone Set. If the Zone Set has not yet been used in a Project, the edit modal will show the list of Zones in addition to the rename option.
Step 4: Click on the edit icon for a Zone to edit the Zone.
You’ll have the option to edit the Start, Middle and End gates associated with each line segment. Be sure to choose which gate you wish to edit. There are a few ways to edit each gate associated with your line segment:
- You can adjust the location of the gate, by redrawing it with your mouse.
- You can redraw the direction of the gate.
Note: You can adjust whether the direction for the line segment is uni-directional or bi-directional on any of the gates, but the setting applies to the entire segment and all three gates.
Step 5: Save your changes for the Zone.
Note: We recommend making manual edits to line segment Zone Sets only once the entire Zone Set has been saved. Changes made to existing Zone Sets are saved immediately. Changes made to new Zone Sets are only saved once the entire Zone Set is saved.
Pro Tip: When reviewing and editing your gates, click the “Show OSM Layer” button in the upper right-hand corner of your map. This will display the OpenStreetMap layer, which is used to lock vehicle trips to the underlying road network. The OSM lines, displayed in pink on your map, will help you confirm whether your gates are accurately capturing traffic.