The following video and Product How-To guide describes how to create an Estimated AADT Values Project. This Project Type delivers Average Annual Daily Traffic (AADT) counts for road segments in the U.S. It uses a blend of Navigation-GPS and Location-Based services data. To learn more about the methodology behind these Metrics, click here to download our AADT 2017 white paper, and click here to download our AADT 2018 white paper.
Notes on AADT 2017 vs. 2018 AADT:
- Our AADT 2018 values follow our AADT 2017 model but are updated for the new year with up to date counter data.
- To compare changes in AADT between 2017 and 2018, please refer to our AADT 2018 Whitepaper. The paper details expected error based on road size and year of AADT estimate. The ability to see a statistically relevant change in traffic will vary based on two main points:
- Our model is more robust when comparing large changes in year over year traffic.
- The expected size of the given road. Model error decreases with larger roads, so comparisons from AADT 2017 to 2018 will be best with larger roads.
For a brief overview of the process, please watch the short video below.
Step 1: Ensure you have Zone Sets
1a. You will need to have Zone Sets for an Estimated AADT Project. Learn more about uploading or drawing Zones.
For an Estimated AADT analysis, you will need at least one Zone Set, your Zones:
- Must be marked as Pass-through
- Must be marked as Bi-directional (even for one-way roads)
- Can be a Line Segment or Polygon Zone
Note: Remember that once you use a Zone Set in a Project, it will no longer be available for editing. Before creating your Project you can edit the names, borders, direction, etc. of your Zone Sets. Learn more about editing a Zone Set.
Step 2: Set Up an Estimated AADT Values Project
2a. Go to the “Create Projects” tab under the “Manage Travel Projects” section.
2b. Give your Project a unique name. For this example, we will name our Project “AADT in Richmond.”
2c. Optional: You can type a description of the Project in the description box with any information you want to remember about the Project.
2d. In the “Project Type” drop-down menu, select “Estimated AADT Values” This will automatically populate default values for Type of Travel, Mode of Travel, and Data Source Type.
Step 3: Choose your Zone Sets
3a. Select your AADT Zone Set in the “Available Zone Sets” box.
Note: All Zone Sets that are available for use in your account will appear in the list in the “Available Zone Sets” box. Zones must be located within your designated subscription region to be used in a Project. Learn more about viewing your subscription region.
3b. Use the arrow button next to the corresponding “Selected Zone Set(s)” to move your AADT Zone Set.
Pro Tip: You can have multiple Zone Sets for your "Selected Zone Set(s)."
Step 4: Configure Project Options
4a. For any Estimated AADT Values Project, you can click “Edit” to change your Data Period.
4b. When you click edit, a new window will pop-up. This window will allow you to choose between AADT 2017 or 2018.
Step 5: Preview and Confirm your Project
5a. Make sure to Preview your Project before you confirm. This gives you a chance to double check that your Project is set up exactly the way you want it to be.
5b. Click “confirm” and your Project will begin running.
Projects will take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours to run, depending on their size and complexity.
Note: that if any of the Zones in the chosen Zone sets are not marked as Bi-Directional or Pass-through, an error message will be displayed and the Project will not be created.
Note: Estimated AADT Value Projects go into Coverage Review if our system notices that a Zone has low trip counts. This could occur for various reasons:
- Your area Zone is in a rural area or is very small
- You used one or two months of data to run your Project
- You indicated direction on a Zone that did not match up with normal traffic flow
- Your pass-through Zone did not align with the OSM layer.
Once the Project is Available, you can analyze the results via the Interactive Visualizations or by downloading the Metrics.
Step 1: Go to the “Interactive Visualizations” section from the navigation menu in the top corner
Step 2: Select your Project in the “Select a Project” box by clicking the title of your Project
Within the Interactive Visualization tool, you can visualize your Estimated AADT value. You can select, which Zone you are interested in and will then see the estimated AADT on the chart.
Step 1: Download your Project Metrics from StreetLight InSight
Learn more about downloading Metrics.
Step 2: Analyze the Metrics
When you download your Metrics for an Estimated AADT Project you will want to click on "your_project_name_estimated_aadt" to view your results.
Estimated AADT Metrics are quite simple, and column H will tell you your AADT value for your Zone or Zones.