A Study is created for each area of work done for formal proposals, marketing materials or business development. If new work is to be done for a new area, a new Study should be created.
Watch this video for an overview:
To create a Study, login to your study-enabled consultant subscription. You will see a window giving you the option to select an existing Study or create a new Study. Click on the “Create New Study” button.
A new window will appear.
Step 1: Choose a Study Type from the following options: Request for Proposal, Business Development, or Marketing.
Step 2: The Study start date will always be today.
Step 3: Define the Study end date as appropriate for your project. The default is 90 days from start. It can be set to early but cannot be set past 90 days.
Step 4: Provide a name for your Study that is descriptive to you and your firm.
Step 5: Optionally, provide a Study ID that is pertinent to you and your firm.
Step 6: Optionally, share the name of the potential end client. This field is optional now, but will be required later. “Confidential” is a valid entry.
Step 7: Click “Next”.
Define the region for your Study. Note that all projects run in the Study must have their zones located within the pre-defined region and buffer area. The process for creating the region is the similar to creating Zones in a Zone Set: Either upload a shapefile or draw a polygon. Note that Study Areas must be smaller than 250,000 square kilometers or 100,000 square miles, roughly the size of Oregon or Colorado.
Step 8: Choose your method: Click on “Upload Shapefile” or “Draw Region”.
- A shapefile must be a zipped shapefile of one or more zones not encompassing more than 250,000 square kilometers. We recommend contiguous and not overlapping zones for the best results.
- If drawing a region, you can first enter a location in the text field and click zoom. Follow the instructions in the info-i to draw the region. Be sure to keep the region as a simple shape without crossing over lines. If you need to start over, click the trash can to delete what has been drawn so far.
Step 9: Set the buffer as a value from 0-50 miles.
Step 10: Click “Save”.
Upon saving the Study definition, the Study is created, you’ll be take to the “Manage Travel Projects” page in InSight and StreetLight is notified of the new Study. This notification is so we can help you scope the work for the end client as quickly as possible.
- If you’d like to change the Study parameters once a study has been created, you’ll be able to “Edit” the Study and update the Name and ID fields.
- If you’d like to request an extension to your Study’s end date, contact your StreetLight Data representative, or the StreetLight Data Support team.
- If you’d like to update the Study region or buffer, you won’t be able to do so directly in the application. Please reach out to the StreetLight Data Support team for assistance.